Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It IS easy being green...




...and fashionable at the same time. For the stylish and eco-conscious, there are several accessories possibilities for re-using, recycling and the like.

Is your water healthy?
My very environmentally-conscious Canadian bro-in-law told me months ago about the Canadian ban of Polycarbonate #7 bottles. Problems are especially linked to "throw-away" bottled water bottles AND hard, plastic "keeper" bottles like Lexan/Nalgene that leach chemicals (bisphenol A) into the water. To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine.

If you're not sure, best to toss 'em and use an aluminum or stainless steel bottle. I really like SIGG Bottles myself - they exceed FDA requirements and ensure 0% leaching. And they come in all sorts of cool designs and colors - bonus! Check out the SIGG Bones 20 oz. Kids Water Bottle above.



How about shopping bags? If you're anything like me, walking to the grocery store or stopping into a boutique "just to browse" are regular occurrences. However, so are the piles of flimsy plastic bags that build up in the pantry and the guilt you have throwing any of them in the trash. Introducing a way to take care of both problems - Envirosax!


My sister gave me the Envirosax Mikado Bag 5 as a gift last year and I've used it so many times, I've lost count. It's around $8, it can be collapsed and rolled up into a miniscule size and popped into a purse or tote bag to use at the drop of a hat. Really, I love it so much I might hug it today.

Check out both of these sites - they make excellent gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment